Equine Bone Supplement
- SUPPORT YOUR HORSE’S BONE HEALTH - Heavy grazing, farming and fertilisation can leave land lacking in these vital elements and providing the correct nutrition for bone strength and development is vital for every horse, especially the brood mare, young stock and competition horses
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Better Bones is rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids including Vitamin D, Copper, Zinc and Manganese.
- ESSENTIAL FOR BONE HEALTH - Bones will naturally adapt to the stress created by work or exercise by becoming denser where loading is greatest. If the correct vitamins and minerals are not available, bones will become weak or brittle, increasing the risk of injury or fracture.
- READY TO USE - Equine America Better Bones Pellets is ready to use and a fully balanced supplement for horses. Just add it to your horse's regular feed
- DOSAGE - A 3.5kg tub provides 58 servings for youngstock and 29 servings for broodmares or mature horses. For a typical 500kg mature weight; Weanlings (6-12 months): 60g per day. Yearlings (12-24 months): 90g per day. Mares and mature horses: 120g per day. Maximum; 120g per day. 60g (approx.) measure enclosed.
- Provides key minerals, vitamin D3, collagen and amino acids for broodmares and youngstock to support optimum skeletal development.
- Contains bio-available mineral sources, including sustainable marine algae, collagen and high-quality protein, providing key amino acids.
- Particularly beneficial for young race and performance horses entering training, to support continuing skeletal maturation and maintenance of bone density.
- Also suitable for horses on long term box rest, where bone de-mineralization can occur through enforced lack of load-bearing activity.
- BETA NOPS and UFAS accredited, ensuring our products do not contain prohibited substances and are suitable for horses competing under FEI regulations and the Rules of Racing.
Better Bones Pellets are a carefully researched combination of key minerals, vitamin D3, collagen and amino acids, to support correct bone growth and development in young, growing horses, including young racehorses and performance horses entering training, as well as broodmares.
The skeletal development and health of a young horse begins in utero, and ensuring the broodmare receives the correct intake of key nutrients will be critical to the growth of the unborn foal. Producing high quality milk places a significant drain on the nutrient reserves of the mare, and maintaining mineral intakes during peak lactation is vital to ensure the foal receives the best nutrition to support the rapid skeletal development in the early weeks and months of growth.
Mineral and other nutrient imbalances in growing youngstock have been recognised for some time as a potential factor in the incidence and severity of developmental skeletal abnormalities, and although genetics and environmental factors can also play a significant role, breeders and trainers can exert a significant degree of control over the nutrition of the horses in their care, ensuring they receive optimum levels of key nutrients .
Young performance horses, such as racehorses, or young showjumpers, dressage or event classes taking part in age restricted classes, are expected to train and race or compete where significant stresses are placed upon immature bones and joints. Whilst there are many factors than can result in skeletal problems in young performance horses, ensuring that the correct nutrients are provided to support maximising bone density will help ensure optimum bone strength and may reduce the incidence and severity of bone injury.
Better Bones can also be fed to horses on long term box rest, when the enforced inactivity can result in bone de-mineralisation, making the horse more vulnerable to further injury when work recommences.
What are the benefits of Better Bones Pellets?
Calcium is one of the most important minerals in bone, and accounts for nearly 35% of equine bone, as well as playing key roles in muscle and nerve function. Calcium is provided from a combination of organic and inorganic sources, to ensure optimum bio-availability, including marine algae, calcium gluconate, dicalcium phosphate and alfalfa.
Phosphorus accounts for around 15% of bone, and also plays key roles in energy and fat metabolism.
Magnesium - about 60% of the magnesium in the horse’s body is found in the skeleton (and around 30% in the muscles). Magnesium is provided from marine algae.
Vitamin D3 - plays a key role in the correct metabolism of calcium
Collagen and amino acids – Collagen is a protein, and along with other key amino acids, provides a structure for calcium, phosphorus and other minerals to add strength and harden the framework or skeleton. This combination of collagen and minerals makes bone both strong and flexible enough to withstand the stresses of normal physical exertion.
Copper, zinc, manganese and silicon – are key trace minerals, provided from a combination of organic and inorganic sources to help ensure optimum bio-availability, and they all play key roles in bone growth and development.
Ingredients & Nutrition
A complementary feed for horses deigned to support the development of healthy bones, as part of a balanced diet.
Key Ingredients per 120g Serving
|Phosphorus 3000mg||Calcium 9000mg|
|Magnesium 1000mg||Ca:P Ratio3:1|
|Zinc 300mg||Copper 100mg|
|Mono Silicic Acid 120mg||Manganese 300mg|
|Vitamin D3 1000iu||Collagen 360mg|
|Methionine 3000mg||Lysine 6000mg|
Additives per kg:
Technological additives: Mono silicic acid (E551) 1000mg
Nutritional additives: Vitamins: Vitamin D3 (3a671) 8333 iu, Trace elements: Total Copper 833mg, Copper (Copper (II) chelate of glycine hydrate (3b413) 275mg, Copper (Copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate (3b405) 558mg, Total Zinc (2500mg), Zinc oxide (3b603) 1675mg, Zinc chelate of glycine hydrate (3b607) 825mg, Total Manganese (2500mg), Manganese (Manganese oxide 3b502) 1675mg, Manganese (Manganese chelate of glycine hydrate 3b506) 825mg. 23300mg. Amino acids:: Lysine hydrochloride (3.2.3) 54500mg, DL Methionine (3c301) 23300mg, L-Threonine (3c410) 5000mg.
Composition: Dried Alfalfa, Hipro Soya (from genetically modified sources, Dicalcium Phosphate, Micronized Maize, Maerl (marine algae), MSM, Calcium gluconate, Whey Protein, Collagen (marine).
|Crude Protein20.3%||Crude Fat1.8%|
|Crude Fibre9.3%||Crude Ash28.0%|
Directions For Use
For typical 500g mature weight:
Weanlings (6-12 months) 60g per day
Yearlings (12-24 months) 90g per day
Broodmares and mature horses 120g per day
Cortaflex HA Regular – joint support for young horses or those in light work
Cortaflex HA Super Fenn – high strength joint support for performance and racehorses
Supreme Omega Oil – for glossy coats and condition during yearling preparation.